Head of Operations and Marketing
The Scottish Energy Forum debates the energy matters that affect all of society. A reliance on energy underlies all developed and developing economies. The current energy industry is complex and at international, national and local level, declarations and commitments to reduce carbon emissions are driving the #EnergyTransition. Yet how many of us really know what is needed to reach goals such as NetZeroCarbon that our leaders sign up to? At the Scottish Energy Forum, we seek to fill that void. Our strap line is “Leading Energy Discussion and Debate”. We purposefully do not hold a view on any of these matters as a Forum: instead we strive to shed light on some on those questions by finding speakers with in-depth knowledge of current issues and emerging trends who are willing to share their personal experience and insight with our members and the wider public. The events that we host combine insightful talks followed by engaged and thought-provoking debate. Our speakers hold Board level or equivalent roles in industry, academia or government, both UK and international.
The Board is seeking an inspirational candidate to lead our organisation as the pace of change in the energy industry accelerates. We want to increase awareness and understanding of how the energy landscape will change in the years and decades ahead as companies, institutions and society adapt to emerging challenges. We are seeking a candidate with a varied skillset: the ability to manage all aspects of our program of events, and to grow and strengthen our online and social media presence. Currently, all of our program is online, but it is our goal, post-pandemic, to host a blended program of events. We aim to return to holding physical meetings in Edinburgh and London, whilst continuing to host online events, bringing speakers and audiences with global experience together. The successful candidate will work closely with the Board, with top calibre speakers and with venues, to shape and deliver our program, whilst managing all operational aspects of the Forum.
- Supporting the Board to meet the SEF mission of Leading Energy Discussion and Debate.
- Work with the Board to develop the SEF annual program of events including the renowned Annual Dinner.
- Plan and run in-person and online events (logistics and admin, including venue choice/management, arranging suppliers, etc).
- Promote SEF events through the SEF website, on social media using SEO and other means to boost SEF’s paid-up membership, brand and online following.
- As secretary to the Board, schedule and manage Board meetings and follow up on actions.
- Manage and report on SEF finances using the SEF accounting software.
- Be available to run events in our Edinburgh base post-pandemic.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Organisational skills (including, but not limited to, management of meetings and events).
- Familiar with accounting systems such as Xero.
- Project management skills / experience.
- Comfortable working with databases (e.g. website, Xero, MailChimp) and WordPress driven website backend— no requirement to build/create.
- Enthusiasm to design and deliver a business development plan to seek new members and strengthen SEF brand and widen reach.
- Committed to advancing the debate around energy matters, whilst embracing the nature of SEF as an unbiased forum.
- Self-motivated and able to deliver results in respect of broad goals with limited guidance.
- Works well individually and as part of the SEF Board team.
- Strong networking skills.
- Resourceful and reliable with confident and friendly demeanour.
- Competitive salary £30,000 pa for approx 24 hours per week with a flexible working schedule and some fixed commitments.
- Contract of Employment or Service Contract to be agreed with successful applicant.
- Home office set-up as appropriate.
- Training for specific software (e.g. SEF website) where required.
- 25 days leave per annum including bank holidays.